Re: combine multiple row values in to one row - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Fetter
Subject Re: combine multiple row values in to one row
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 01:59:35AM +0430, Lee Harr wrote:

> Hi;
>
> I'm looking for a way to do this:
>

> # \d tbl
>       Table "public.tbl"
>  Column |  Type   | Modifiers
> --------+---------+-----------
>  idn    | integer |
>  code   | text    |
> # SELECT * FROM tbl;
>  idn | code
> -----+------
>    1 | A
>    2 | B
>    2 | C
>    3 | A
>    3 | C
>    3 | E
> (6 rows)
> # select idn, magic() as codes FROM tbl;
>  idn | codes
> -----+------
>    1 | A
>    2 | B, C
>    3 | A, C, E
> (3 rows)
>

> Right now, I use plpgsql functions, but each time I do it
> I have to rewrite the function to customize it.
>
> Is there a generic way to do this? An aggregate maybe?

The aggregate is called array_agg() and it's in 8.4.  You can then
wrap array_to_string() around it and get pretty formatting, as in:

SELECT idn, array_to_string(array_agg(code),', ') AS codes FROM tbl;

If you're not on 8.4 yet, you can create a similar aggregate with
CREATE AGGREGATE.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!