Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date
Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wednesday 01 July 2009 03:55:32 Josh Berkus wrote:
> Yes, I'm thinking this survey low-key, just News and a link in place of
> community/survey at this time. That way we capture some of the increased
> website traffic, but save the real survey blitz for when we have a more
> complete survey we can use several times.  This one is a one-off.
>
> Then when we get the full, complete community survey done we can blast
> it through the various e-mail channels and elsewhere.  I do think
> getting it done by August 1 is ambitious though, especially if we're
> talking about a July 15 CommitFest.

Most people don't like marketing surveys, the type of people inclined to use
FLOSS software tend to like them even less than comercial customers. Sending
out two marketing surveys within ~ 1 month of each seems like the worst
choice of all; I surely hope we wouldn't do that.

BTW, I see downthread Simon has bailed on the idea of doing a community survey
for 8.4, so perhaps there's no cause for concern, but before we take any
action on either survey, I thought it was important that this point be
raised.

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net