Re: polymorphic function in 7.4 vs. 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Rosenberg
Subject Re: polymorphic function in 7.4 vs. 8.3
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom, thanks for your prompt reply. I think I may have my head on straight now,
this should work:

CREATE TABLE atest1
(
  id integer NOT NULL,
  descr text,
  CONSTRAINT atest1_pkey PRIMARY KEY (id)
);

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION test1_trg()
  RETURNS trigger AS
'
DECLARE
    some_rec public.atest1;

BEGIN
some_rec.id := NEW.id;
some_rec.descr := NEW.descr;
select into some_rec * from dd_test(some_rec) as (id int4, descr text);
--some_rec := dd_test(some_rec);
RETURN some_rec;
END;
'
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION dd_test(anyelement)
  RETURNS record AS
'
DECLARE
    any_row alias for $1;
    some_row record;

BEGIN
    some_row := any_row;
    if some_row.id < 0 then
        raise notice ''id is < 0!'';
        some_row.descr := ''some other value'';
    end if;

RETURN some_row;
END;
'
  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

CREATE TRIGGER trg_atest1
  BEFORE INSERT
  ON atest1
  FOR EACH ROW
  EXECUTE PROCEDURE test1_trg();

insert into public.atest1 values(123, 'some text');

insert into public.atest1 values(-90, 'some text');

This gives the same result. Also in the trigger function test1_trg the syntax
of the call to the polymorphic function makes a difference in terms of the
error that is thrown. A simple assignment like:

. . .
some_rec := dd_test(some_rec);
. . .

Throws a syntax error, while a 'SELECT INTO. . .' like:

. . .
select into some_rec * from dd_test(some_rec) as (id int4, descr text);
. . .

Throws this:

 ERROR: column "some_rec" does not exist
SQL state: 42703
Context: PL/pgSQL function "test1_trg" line 7 at select into variables

Sorry for the earlier typo(s), and thanks for any help.

Richard