Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tino Schwarze
Subject Re: Add pre-existing tablespace to new installation
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, Jun 09, 2009 at 07:57:34AM -0500, Roland Hughes wrote:

> This has not been the case with 64-bit OpenSuSE.  A fresh re-install of the OS
> required I recreate the database from backup.  Postgres would NOT recognize or
> salvage the directory on a TB drive containing tablespace.

I doubt that. What do you call a "fresh install"? The OpenSUSE packages
will not touch your tablespace (in Postgres' home directory,
/var/lib/pgsql IIRC) if it already exists. If you re-format your root
volume, then you loose your data - that's what it is supposed to do.
If you added tablespaces (as symlinks or mountpoints within Postgres'
data directory), they will become useless after a "fresh install" if you
lose your Postgres' data directory during the process.

You just need to preserve everything from Postgres' data directory
(which shouldn't be much data).

Tino.