Re: Xml Schemas - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Xml Schemas
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Saturday 06 June 2009 22:53:19 Isaac Dover wrote:
> Hello, I am attempting to build an xml representation of any database, but
> I'm having trouble doing so. I was interested in using the existing xml
> functions, such as "schema_to_xmlschema", but the results are strange and
> unusable. The resulting schema doesn't even contain the column names,
> though it doesn't include the table names. Often, the type information is
> incomplete as well.
>
> Are there any examples for using this family of functions,
> "schema_to_xmlschema", etc? My end goal is any xml representation of the
> database that includes type information.

It appears to me that there is some kind of bug in schema_to_xmlschema.  As
you say, it misses a bunch of information, such as the column names of the
tables.  As far as I can tell, the SQL standard actually defines it that way,
but that must be a bug.

If you use table_to_xmlschema, you will get the proper output, separately for
each table.

Note, however, that the XML mapping is not designed to be reversible.
Depending on what you want to do, this may not be the right format for you.