Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Markus Wanner
Subject Re: PostgreSQL Developer meeting minutes up
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Quoting "Nicolas Barbier" <nicolas.barbier@gmail.com>:
> If I understand correctly, "nearby variable renaming" refers to
> changes to the few lines surrounding the changes-to-be-merged.

Hm.. I took that to mean "changes on the same line". I now realize
this interpretation has been an overly strict interpretation.

> There
> is certainly supposed to be an advantage relative to diff/patch here:
> as all changes leading to both versions are known (up to some common
> ancestor), git doesn't need "context lines" to recognize the position
> in the file that is supposed to receive the updates.

Yes, that's how I understand it as well. Your example seems fine
(except that it does not make much sense to merge with an ancestor).

I'm not sure if git also works line by line (as does monotone).
However, IIRC kdiff3 uses some finer grained comparison, so it can
even merge unrelated change on the same line, i.e.:

ancestor: aaa bbb
left:     axa bbb  (modified a -> x)
right:    aaa byb  (modified b -> y)
merge:    axa byb  (contains both modifications)

Regards

Markus Wanner