Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date
Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
> > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes:
> > > I have discovered a simpler solution using ALTER TABLE and calling a
> > > conversion function:
> >
> > >     test=> CREATE TABLE tsvector_test(x tsvector);
> > >     CREATE TABLE
> > >     test=> ALTER TABLE tsvector_test ALTER COLUMN x TYPE tsvector
> > >     test-> USING conversion_func(x);
> > >     ALTER TABLE
> >
> > > No need for a fake data type and the required index infrastructure.
> >
> > I think this is basically a large-caliber foot gun.  You're going to
> > pretend that invalid data is valid, until the user gets around to fixing
> > it?
>
> What choice do we have?  While we can mark indexes as invalid (which we
> do), how do we mark a table's contents as invalid?  Should we create
> rules so no one can see the data and then have the ALTER TABLE script
> remove the rules after it is rebuilt?

OK, what ideas do people have to prevent access to tsvector columns?  I
am thinking of renaming the tables or something.

http://enterprisedb.com