Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date
Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > > There are so many caveats on pg_migrator (and things that need to be
> > > done after the migration is complete) that one starts to wonder if
> > > people is not better off just using parallel pg_restore.  From Stefan's
> > > reported timings I'm not sure that pg_migrator is that much of a benefit
> > > in the first place ... unless copy mode can be made much faster.  (On
> > > link mode it is so much faster that it's worth it, but then you don't
> > > have an escape hatch).
> >
> > That is accurate.  I doubt copy mode speed can be improved.
>
> Why not?  Right now it's single-threaded.  Would it be faster if it ran
> several copies in parallel?

Sure, but that assumes you have parallel I/O channels;  I assume right
now it is I/O limited.

http://enterprisedb.com