Re: Compiler warning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Compiler warning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thursday 21 May 2009 10:01:59 Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Note that applying this patch would introduce a double-translation issue
> > of the sort that you had complained about a while ago.  I'm unsure which
> > way to proceed here.
>
> Hmm, the patch looks fine to me. The strings are marked with
> gettext_noop() in the array, and passed through _() when used in errmsg.

But his patch changes that to

errhint("%s", _(wentry->drophint_msg))

so it ends up being run through gettext twice.  Which has recently been raised
as a concern.  Both of these competing issues -- the compiler warning and
double translation -- appear to be minor in practice, but we apparently have
to make a choice which one we plan to fix now and in the future.