Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl
Date
Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi Alvaro,
>
> On 05/09/2009 12:26 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Perhaps a more difficult problem is that there is no easy way to update
>>> a single file within a git repo. In cvs or svn, if I blow something up
>>> on a particular file and I just want to take a fresh look, I just rm;svn
>>> update.
>> Hmm, you should use "git revert" for that (same with SVN actually).
> Uh. Unfortunately not. git revert is for reverting the effects of an
> earlier commit, not a working copy difference.

Thanks for the clarification :-)

So how do you revert WC changes?  At least I got the SVN part right --
which is not surprising because that's the one I actually use.  Oh, and
monotone uses 'revert' for the WC meaning too (the other one does not
really make much sense to me, but so does git as a whole)

(You can't be serious that for reverting a WC file to the repository
state you use "git checkout"?)