Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> 2. There seem to be some corner cases where creating a table in the new
> database will not create a toast table even though there was one in the
> create and then drop dropped columns, for instance ... but I'm not
> convinced it can't happen, either.)  If there is a toast table in the
> old database then pg_migrator must bring it over because it might
> possibly contain live data.  However, as toasting.c is presently coded
> there is no way to force it to create a toast table.  I think we should
> change AlterTableCreateToastTable to add a "bool force" parameter.
> Alternatively we could add a separate entry point, but the option seems
> a bit cleaner.

The bottom line is that the TOAST logic was so fluid on when it thinks a
TOAST table is needed that even if it it consistent from 8.3 -> 8.4, it
would likely break in some later release and it was just safer to add a
boolean.

http://enterprisedb.com