Re: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - Mailing list pgsql-general

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it
Date
List pgsql-general
> I am trying to connect to a PostgreSQL server from another machine on my
> small home network. When I click the Test button in the ODBC data mnager
> for my system DSN I get the error "No connection could be made because
> the target machine actively refused it." That may not be the exact
> message but it is close.
>
> I have no problem connecting using localhost on the machine where
> PostgresSQL is running. However, if I connect using the machine's IP
> address (10.0.0.9) either locally or from another PC I get the error
> above. I have disabled the Windows firewall and my antivirus software
> but the error persists.
>
> Any suggestions? I am new to PostgreSQL so assume I have done something
> really dumb.<g>

You have to edit your postgresql.conf:

listen_addresses = '*'

and your pg_hba.conf to enable remote access. Read the documentation and
the comments at the end of the pg_hba.conf - file.

Regards, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer