Re: [GENERAL] Performance of full outer join in 8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Performance of full outer join in 8.3
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Performance of full outer join in 8.3  (Grzegorz Jaskiewicz <gj@pointblue.com.pl>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 06:12:10AM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:

> > EXPLAIN (option_name, ...) query
> >
> > Or maybe:
> >
> > EXPLAIN (option_name = value, ...) query
> >
> > It may or may not be the case that generating a useful regression
> > test suite for the planner is too much work for anyone to bother,
> > but they certainly won't if the tools aren't available.  It seems
> > we get at least one request a month for some kind of
> > explain-output option: suppress row counts, suppress costs, gather
> > I/O statistics, show outputs, show # of batches for a hash join,
> > and on and on and on.  I think we should implement a very basic
> > version that maybe does nothing more than let you optionally
> > suppress some of the existing output, but which provides an
> > extensible syntax for others to build on.
>
> I think the way to do this is to introduce plan output in XML

If we're going with a serialization, which I think would be an
excellent idea, how about one that's light-weight and human-readable
like JSON?

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!