Re: Unicode string literals versus the world - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Unicode string literals versus the world
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 04:01:48PM +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Saturday 11 April 2009 18:20:47 Sam Mason wrote:
> > I can't see much support in the other database engines; searched for
> > Oracle, MS-SQL, DB2 and Firebird.  MySQL has it planned for 7.1, so not
> > for a while.
>
> DB2 supports it, as far as I know.

Doh, yes it does doesn't it.  Sorry I searched for a bit and failed to
find anything before.  Looks as though the signal to noise ratio was far
too low as I've just searched again and found a (single) reference to
their docs describing the feature[1].

I've also just noticed that the MySQL todo item points to several other
implementations and how they handle Unicode escape sequences.  The most
common option (bearing in mind that this is a sample of mainly FOSS
databases) seems to be doing some variant of '\u0123', as in the style
of Python.  This is only supported for literals and no support for
identifiers appears to be provided.

--  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/
[1] http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/db2luw/v9r5/topic/com.ibm.db2.luw.sql.ref.doc/doc/r0000731.html