Re: Unicode string literals versus the world - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Unicode string literals versus the world
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 14 April 2009 20:35:21 Robert Haas wrote:
> Maybe I've just got my head deeply in the sand, but I don't understand
> what the alternative to E'' supposedly is.  How am I supposed to write
> the equivalent of E'\t\n\f' without using E''?

Well, the first alternative is to type those characters in literally.  The
second alternative is the U&'' syntax. ;-)  The third alternative is to design
applications that don't need this, because the processing behavior of those
characters is quite unportable.  But of course in some cases using the E''
syntax is the most convenient.