media server (mp3 player) on postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject media server (mp3 player) on postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
This is a fancy request... but maybe among so many postgresql
aficionados there is someone that know if there is any "media
server/player" that support postgresql.

Once upon a time amarok did support postgres to store and search
metadata on songs. It did some pretty tricks with id3 data,
postgresql and the file system.

That was pretty comfort if you shared your media files across your
home and you also wanted to share "scores" among your family.

Now amarok dropped all DB support with the exception of mysql and
most of my lan services are based on postgresql.
KDE4.X.X just landed on sid, so the old amarok that supported
postgresql is going to be wiped by the new one...

I was wondering if there was something around that could be divided
in 3 functional units:
- a DB and file server used to search and "serve" media
- a client (even web) to search and select media and decide on which
  box to play it
- several "servers" that will actually play the media

thanks

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it