Re: [GENERAL] pgstattuple triggered checkpoint failure and database outage? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [GENERAL] pgstattuple triggered checkpoint failure and database outage?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> The solution that seems most practical to me is to add a bool column
> to pg_class indicating "this is a temp table".  Then, if that flag
> is set but it's not our own temp table (which we can tell easily),
> refuse to read.  However, a patch of that size would take a little
> while to develop, and I'm not entirely sure it's worth the trouble.
> I can't remember having seen bugs of this type before.

If we had had this defense in place, it would have been obvious that
reindex and cluster were buggy.  The code to skip temp tables was not
there from the beginning.

(We already have rel->rd_istemp, but it's not what we need here.)