Re: Question about hosting and server grade - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: Question about hosting and server grade
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:06:03AM +0100, Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
> Could IO load show up as apparent CPU load?

I may not be interpreting you correctly; but, as I understand it, if
your IO subsystem is too slow then your CPUs are going to be idling.  So
if your CPUs are sitting at 100% utilisation then you're CPU bound and
not IO bound.

If your dataset mainly fits in RAM then SELECTs are always going to be
CPU (or RAM to cache bandwidth) bound.  You'll always be waiting for
your disks when you modify data so if you consider your UPDATEs too
slow you should look at what's going on in your system when they're
happening.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/