Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date
List pgsql-general
Juan,

* Juan Pereira (juankarlos.openggd@gmail.com) wrote:
> The main reason why we thought using a table per truck was because
> concurrent load: if there are 100 trucks trying to write in the same table,
> maybe the performance is worse than having 100 tables, due to the fact that
> the table is blocked for other queries while the writing process is running,
> isn't it?

That assumption is incorrect with regard to PostgreSQL, as you'll find
if you go through the other links suggested.  Writing to a table does
not require a table-level write lock in PostgreSQL.

        Thanks,

            Stephen

Attachment