Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Should SET ROLE inherit config params?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> Discuss the implications of changing such a GUC partway
> through this sequence.  For extra credit, explain what would happen if
> it were set via ALTER ROLE SET for one role or the other.
>
> In short: -1 from me.

Heh.  That's your best rejection yet.  Someday I'll print out all the
rejection e-mails from you and wallpaper my office. ;-)

I guess what I'm really hoping to do is to hack ROLEs into a primitive
resource management tool.  Maybe this is the wrong approach, but we need
*something* in this vein, and from an application development perspective
combining permissions, connections and resource allocation via ROLES makes a
lot of sense.  The SET ROLE issue comes in pretty much for login management.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL