Re: Additional DTrace Probes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: Additional DTrace Probes
Date
Re: Additional DTrace Probes  (Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Robert Lor <Robert.Lor@Sun.COM> wrote:

> The attached patch contains the probes (originally came from Theo
> Schlossnagle) that were removed from the previous submitted patch.
> Zdenek had some concerns  about the way the probes were implemented
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-07/msg01168.php. If
> there are specific recommendations, I'd be more than happy to make the
> changes and get them resubmitted.

This will introduce SLRU and Executor probes.
We already have Lock, LWLock, Buffer, I/O and XLogs probes.

I'd like to have the following probes, too. In my experience,
they could be bottlenecks or consume much time in some situations.
   - idle in transaction   - spinlock wait-and-retry   - CPU: Trigger execution   - CPU: Encoding conversion   -
Network:send() and recv()   - smgr: lseek() calls   - Tempfile reads and writes

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center