Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: Immediate shutdown and system(3)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

> 1. Implement a custom version of system(3) using fork+exec that let's us
> trap SIGQUIT and send e.g SIGTERM or SIGINT to the child instead. It
> might be a bit tricky to get this right in a portable way; Windows would
> certainly need a completely separate implementation.

I think the custom system() approach is the most ideal plan for us because
it could open the door for faster recovery; If there were an asynchronous
version of system(), startup process could parallelly execute both
restoring archived wal files and redoing operations in them.

Regards,
---
ITAGAKI Takahiro
NTT Open Source Software Center