Re: WIP: hooking parser - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: WIP: hooking parser
Date
Re: WIP: hooking parser
List pgsql-hackers
On Wednesday 11 February 2009 12:05:03 Pavel Stehule wrote:
> It works. And I thing, this should to solve lot of special task
> related to increase compatibility with Oracle, Informix, or it could
> be usefull for some others (json support).
>
> postgres=# load 'decode';
> LOAD
> postgres=# select
> decode(null::integer,2,'ahoj',3,'Petr',1,'Pavel',null, 'jaja');
>  decode
> --------
>  jaja
> (1 row)

I think what you want here is some way to define a function that takes an
arbitrary number of arguments of arbitrary type and let the function figure
everything out.  I see no reason why this can't be a variant on CREATE
FUNCTION, except that of course you need to figure out some API and function
resolution details.  But it doesn't have to be a completely different concept
like a binary plugin.