Re: Set-returning functions only allowed if written in language 'sql' - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From raf
Subject Re: Set-returning functions only allowed if written in language 'sql'
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Pavel Stehule wrote:

> Hello
>
> this limit will be removed at 8.4
>
> in older version you have to use table notation like
>
> select * from srf()
>
> regards
> Pavel Stehule

hi,

that's funny. the 8.3 documentation i read said that in the
future you'd probably have to use "select * from srf()"
and *not* "select srf()" since that method is deprecated:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/xfunc-sql.html#AEN40353

  "Currently, functions returning sets can also be called in
  the select list of a query. For each row that the query
  generates by itself, the function returning set is invoked,
  and an output row is generated for each element of the
  function's result set. Note, however, that this capability
  is deprecated and might be removed in future releases."

so i use "select * from srf()" all the time
(it works better for multi-column sets anyway).

does this mean that "select srf()" is no longer deprecated?

cheers,
raf