Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> The current project is not in good shape. Feature freeze is coming and
> nothing is committed. Currently there are three patches in the game:
>
> 1) Space reservation
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00886.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-01/msg02031.php
>
> This patch is mandatory for page online conversion and MUST TO be part
> of postgreSQL 8.4. if not ... then we will be at the beginning next
> year.
>
> I sent updated version today.

I think we have decided that any system we come up with now for space
reservation will be inadequate, so we will just backpatch any needed
space reservation code.  Fortunately space expansion is a rare event.

And we decided we don't need a pg_class column because a custom table
will do just as well in reporting the tables that have been prepared
with reserved space.

> 2) pg_upgrade.sh
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-12/msg00248.php
>
> Pg_upgrade.sh is shell script for catalog conversion. It works for
> 8.3->8.4 upgrade. It will be useful while we will not have better
> solution. Disadvantage is that it is korn shell script. The idea is to
> rewrite it in PERL which is more portable, but I'm not PERL expert and
> currently there is no workable solution.
>
> And what is deadline for it? We can delivery it later with 8.4.1, but
> best time for testing is during betas and RC period.

Now that pg_migrator is BSD licensed, and already in C, I am going to
spend my time trying to improve pg_migrator for 8.4:
http://pgfoundry.org/projects/pg-migrator/

http://enterprisedb.com