Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Automatic view update rules Bernd Helmle
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >>
> >> But per spec, UPDATABLE should be the default (if not now, then
> >> eventually).  Are you proposing
> >>       CREATE [OR REPLACE] [[NOT] UPDATABLE] VIEW ...
> >> ?  Seems confusing.
> >
> > UNUPDATABLE?  :-)
> >
> > BTW, how do we handle cases where the query cannot be updatable, e.g.
> > aggregates?  Do we throw a warning?
> >

> yes. we detect that and send a warning saying that there not be any rules

OK, so we are going to need an option to suppress that warning, even
without the problems of upgrades and customization.

We already use READ ONLY in SET TRANSACTION and START TRANSACTION, so it
would be logical to use READ ONLY to control this.

http://enterprisedb.com