Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Here are the items I think are best to default to user-only:
> [...]
> > Here are the ones that should include system objects by default:
[...]
> So maybe we should provide U, S, and A modifiers for every type of
> object (user, system, all).  That doesn't solve the problem of which
> should be the default for each object type, but at least it guarantees
> that you can type an extra character to get the behavior you want in
> any particular case.

You know, there's an easy answer to what to set the defaults to, though
it might be a bit cheesy- how about the current behavior?  Adding
functionality (+U or +S or whatever) without breaking backwards
compatibility (much).

I'm not a huge fan of having \df still list system functions, but it's
less of an issue if I can just do \dfU when I want.  Of course, for a
year or two I'll probably be cursing this thread whenver I pick the
wrong one, but that's life. ;)

pre-pending system calls that aren't really 'published' with a 'pg_'.
That probably raises some backwords compatability problems, but I still
think it's a good idea to try and do at some point.
Stephen