Cost of INSERT rules - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Enrico Weigelt
Subject Cost of INSERT rules
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi folks,

I really like the idea of exclusively using views as interfaces
to the applications (each app has its own view, tuned for the
app's access patterns). So, in my model, of course inserts and
updates also happen through views, also more complex operations
could be triggered through view writes.

But for some strange reason, my apps seem to produce high load
on the server. So either I'm just too stupid for proper schema
design or the view approach is really slow.

What exactly does happen behind the scenes if I update some
row in a view ? Does it end up in an full view query before
doing the update ?

cu
    http://patches.metux.de/