Re: Documenting pglesslog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Documenting pglesslog
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Koichi Suzuki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have no intention to make pglesslog to conflict to PostgreSQL
> license.   Any advice is welcome to make pglesslog available without
> any license concern.

I certainly have no concerns.

> I've a question and ideas.
>
> Bruce's modification directly points to my pgfoundry page.   I'm not
> sure what it means.  Does it mean that I have to maintain the page for
> a while?   If pglesslog helps for future releases, can it be a part of
> PostgreSQL release, as contrib module so that all the documentation in
> pgfoundry (although very simple) is included in the release material?

I think eventually we should put pglesslog into /contrib, and if we ever
do that, we would update your web page.  I have not heard any mention of
it being moved into /contrib for 8.4 though.

If you would like me to point to another URL, please let me know.

I think there is definately demand for pglesslog because not only does
it truncate dead space from the WAL file, it also removes full page
write images, and is best done in archive_command, and hence externally
like your tool does.

> As many hackers know, I've posted another code to speedup PITR after
> slipping FPW, which does work with 8.3 as external module
> (pg_readahead).   I'm now working to work this with synchronous
> replication.   Maybe it's a good idea to use pglesslog with
> pg_readahead.    Although I'm not sure if pg_readahead integration
> with synchronous replication will be done within 8.4 development
> period, I'm quite ready to post pg_readahead for 8.4 sililar to that
> for 8.3, which also could be in contrib module.

Sorry, I don't know enough about pg_readahead.

http://enterprisedb.com