PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jan-Peter.Seifert@gmx.de
Subject PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace
Date
Re: PGOPTIONS and default_tablespace  ("Scott Marlowe" <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin
Hello,

without success I tried to set the default tablespace via the environment variable PGOPTIONS.

My tries:
set PGOPTIONS="default_tablespace='pgdata'"
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace='pgdata'
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace(pgdata)
set PGOPTIONS=default_tablespace('pgdata')

When I try to connect to the server via psql I get the error message: "FATAL: invalid command-line arguments for server
process.HINT: Try "postgres --help" for more information."

However, when I start the server with: postgres -c default_tablespace='pgdata'
it works.

What am I missing?

The OS is Windows xp Pro sp3. PostgreSQL version: 8.3.5.

BTW: Why aren't new databases created in the 'new' tablespace? Just because it's not a dbspace but a tablespace? It
wouldbe much more convenient if the createdb commands would make use of the default_tablespace setting as it's the case
withtables.

Thank you very much,

Peter Seifert