Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> The problem with escaping is that someone may want this output for
> non-ReST purposes.  They may not be making themselves known now but if
> we find a need later it will be hard if not impossible to make it
> available in a logical way.  I would suggest  that if we want actual
> ReST-safe output we should create a "border = 4" setting.  The code
> changes would be minimal.  All we need to do is check for a value of 4
> in addition to checking whether escaping is necessary.
>
> I would still like to see some sort of plugin system for psql that
> would allow filters to be created for output.  That would make this
> entire discussion moot as each of us could write whatever filter worked
> for them.  That's a bigger deal though.

Well, the way we do Html and LaTeX now is:
\pset format {html|latex}

so I assume ReST would be:
\pset format {html|latex|rest}

You can implement the user-visible, no-escaping version of ReST by using
border=3.

http://enterprisedb.com