Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen R. van den Berg
Subject Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?
Date
Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Alex Hunsaker wrote:
>I think we could just add another toast storage type: alter table
>alter column set storage compress; ?  It seems overkill to expose
>PGLZ_Strategy knobs per column...

Three things:
a. Shouldn't it in theory be possible to have a decompression algorithm  which is IO-bound because it decompresses
fasterthan the disk can  supply the data?  (On common current hardware).

b. Has the current algorithm been carefully benchmarked and/or optimised  and/or chosen to fit the IO-bound target as
closeas possible?

c. Are there any well-known pitfalls/objections which would prevent me from  changing the algorithm to something more
efficient(read: IO-bound)?

--
Sincerely,          Stephen R. van den Berg.

"Always remember that you are unique.  Just like everyone else."