Re: Assertion failure with a subtransaction and cursor - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Assertion failure with a subtransaction and cursor
Date
Re: Assertion failure with a subtransaction and cursor  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Not sure what to do.  The only fix that seems bulletproof at the moment
>> is to declare that any cursor that's been touched at all in a
>> subtransaction is marked "broken" if the subtransaction rolls back.
>> That might be too great a loss of functionality.  It would block off
>> the controversial aspects of behavior though ...

> Hmm, I think we should track temporary files using resource owners.

That would probably be a workable solution if temp files are the only
problem.  What I'm afraid of is that this type of problem exists
*everywhere* that we track the need for cleanup operations using the
assumption that subtransactions are nested.  If that's the case then we
are looking at a very major rewrite to make things bulletproof --- much
larger than I'd feel comfortable back-patching, especially so far back
as 8.0.  I'm thinking we might have little choice but to disable the
functionality in back branches.

            regards, tom lane