Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.4 reproducible crash - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.4 reproducible crash
Date
Re: PostgreSQL 8.3.4 reproducible crash  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> 1. Ensure that a snapshot is set before doing parse analysis of any
> non-utility command.  (We *must* not set a snap before LOCK or a
> transaction control command, and it seems best to not do it for any
> utility command.)  One issue here is that this would change the behavior
> for mixed utility and non-utility commands in a single query string;
> though I'm not sure how much that matters.

I think this is the easiest way out, and the most robust -- we won't be
bitten by some other operation that the parser may think of doing.
(Note that utility commands have their snapshot set in
PortalRunUtility).  Also, perhaps this would let us clean the mess in
pg_plan_queries.