Re: Quick patch: Display sequence owner - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Quick patch: Display sequence owner
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Williams wrote:
> > I think the place that such information could most naturally be squeezed
> > into psql's \d commands would be to add another type of footer
> > information to \dt, eg
> >
> >         Table "foo.bar"
> >         "bari" ...
> >     Owned sequences:
> >         "baz" owned by col1
>
> That makes more sense, though isn't that a little repetitive when
> "default nextval(...)" is visible immediately above it?

I don't think that it is all that repetitive.  It's not uncommon to see
people creating sequences and assigning to default values, without
setting the OWNED BY bits.  It's good that this information is very
visible.  It's only a couple more lines in the common case anyway (if
you want to save half of that overhead, make it a single line when
there's a single sequence.)