Re: Date Index - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From A. Kretschmer
Subject Re: Date Index
Date
Re: Date Index  (Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@whitemice.org>)
List pgsql-sql
am  Thu, dem 30.10.2008, um 14:49:16 -0600 mailte Ryan Hansen folgendes:
> Hey all,
>

> I?m apparently too lazy to figure this out on my own so maybe one of you can
> just make it easy on me. J
>

> I want to index a timestamp field but I only want the index to include the
> yyyy-mm-dd portion of the date, not the time.  I figure this would be where the
> ?expression? portion of the CREATE INDEX syntax would come in, but I?m not sure
> I understand what the syntax would be for this.
>

> Any suggestions?

Sure.

You can create an index based on a function, but only if the function is
immutable:

test=# create table foo (ts timestamptz);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts));
ERROR:  functions in index expression must be marked IMMUTABLE

To solve this problem specify the timezone:

For the same table as above:
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts at time zone 'cet'));
CREATE INDEX

If you have a timestamp whitout timezone it is much easier:
test=# create table foo (ts timestamp);
CREATE TABLE
test=*# create index idx_foo on foo(extract(date from ts));
CREATE INDEX

Hope thats help, Andreas
--
Andreas Kretschmer