Re: ADO TO ODBC - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: ADO TO ODBC
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 16, 2008 at 12:18:58AM +0200, salman Sheikh wrote:
> I have an application software which has connection with MS Access
> through DAO.I want to use same software without any changing with my
> new databank Postgresql through Odbc.
> I dont think so,that i can change it,I must develope whole software
> with odbc for postgresql.

You can connect to ODBC connections through either DAO or ADO.  I use
MS Access as the front end for various Postgres databases and it works
well.  The SQL syntax that MS Access understands is very different from
standard SQL, so if the existing code is using a lot of non-standard
syntax then it may need changing to work with Postgres.  If you can cope
with a slight loss in power, then you may have luck with using "Linked
Tables" inside Access and getting MS Access to do the translation from
MS Access style SQL to standard SQL (i.e. what Postgres understands).

I've not used it this way, but I'd guess it will still be orders of
magnitude faster (and more reliable) than using MS Access as the
datastore, especially if you've got several people using it over a
network.

I had trouble understanding your question, so if that wasn't what you
were asking I'm sorry!

  Sam