multi recordset and data type check was: Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Subject multi recordset and data type check was: Re: PL/pgSQL stored procedure returning multiple result sets (SELECTs)?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 12:17:21 +0300
Vladimir Dzhuvinov <vd@valan.net> wrote:

> CREATE PROCEDURE list_user_accounts(IN user_id INT)
>
>     BEGIN
>
>     -- Return first result set (single row)
>     SELECT * FROM users WHERE id = user_id;
>
>     -- Return second result set (zero or more rows)
>     SELECT * FROM accounts WHERE account_holder = user_id;
>
>     END;

I'd say returning multiple recordset is useful to save connections
and transferred data.
You can't get the same with a left join (users fields will be
repeated over and over) and you can't get the same with 2 separated
statements since they will need 2 connections.

But from the client side, suppose it PHP... if the first
statement return no record and the second one return 3 records, how
can I know?
What about functions like pg_num_fields?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it