Re: postgres launch os applications - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From mrbuseco@buseco.net
Subject Re: postgres launch os applications
Date
List pgsql-novice
pt;">One could use an embedded SQL C program to update the table, and then =
have thatsame program invoke another executable via exec() or system() =
calls.If you are using Apache and this is an update based on form d=
ata from an HTMLdocument (aren't we all?), one should already be using =
CGI-BIN programming withembedded SQL and be able to fit this right in.<=
br>Matt
: 8px; padding-left: 8px; font-size: 10pt; color: black; font-family: verda=
na;">
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] postgres launch os applications
From: Andreas Kretschmer <akretschmer@spamfence.net>
Date: Tue, October 07, 2008 10:39 am
To: pgsql-novice@postgresql.org

Ertel, Steve <Steve.Ertel@infimatic.com> schrieb:

> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updat=
ed.  I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch =
the OS
> executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use so=
mething
> like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call in =
Postgres.

Write a trigger-function using an untrusted language like pl/perlU. You
can call arbitray commands within an untrusted language. With the
regular trusted languages such plpgsql or so you can't call external
programs.

Andreas
Kaufbach, Saxony, Germany, Europe.              N 51.05082=C2=B0, E 13.5688=
9=C2=B0