Re: WIP patch: Collation support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: WIP patch: Collation support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 06:11:04PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> >This patch should allow to use both system catalog and ICU.
>
> Not without another patch that actually introduces ICU support. What
> that would look like, how that would be stored in the catalogs, and
> whether we want that is whole another topic. Without that, the STRCOLFN
> part of the original patch is pointless, and I would've ripped that out
> anyway even if we decided to add the pg_collation catalog in this release.

Eh? How you store collations names is easy. Every collation has a
textual name which is what we store in the catalog. I'm not sure why
you'd think it'd be any more complicated than that. And it has
precisely nothing to do with ICU and everything to do with being able
to support multiple source of collation information. We already have
two: builtin (strcmp/memcmp) and C library (strcoll). Letting peope add
more is the goal.

I'm sure once the catalog exists the existing ICU-for-Postgres patch
will be adjusted to use it.

Have a nice day,