Re: pg_regress inputdir - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_regress inputdir
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> > I think the appropriate interface would be adding another option to
> > pg_regress called --workdir or --tempdir, which defaults to PWD, and
> > write the converted sql files there, and then look for the sql files to
> > execute in workdir/sql and in inputdir/sql.  In some way, this copies
> > the vpath search mechanism.
>
> That would be required to make pg_regress run as far as its own
> facilities are concerned.  But I think Alvaro is worried about something
> at a higher level: the regression test process as a whole has some
> directory layout assumptions built into it, particularly in regards
> to where to find .so's.  If we don't have a workable solution for that
> it's not really going to help to change pg_regress like this.

Maybe the same work dir can be used as a place to store the shared
objects.  I think all it'd require is to change @abs_builddir@ to point
to workdir.

That should work fine as long as nobody attempts to put the workdir in
some mount point that's marked noexec (which is somewhat common with
/tmp)