Re: "Healing" a table after massive updates - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: "Healing" a table after massive updates
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday 11 September 2008, "Gauthier, Dave" <dave.gauthier@intel.com>
wrote:
> I have a job that loads a large table, but then has to "update" about
> half the records for various reasons.  My perception of what happens on
> update for a particular recors is...
>
> - a new record will be inserted with the updated value(s).
>
> - The old record is marked as being obselete.

What you might consider doing is loading the data into a temp table,
updating it there, then copying that data into the final destination.
Depending on the indexes involved, you might even find this to be faster.

--
Alan