Re: [Review] pgbench duration option - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From ITAGAKI Takahiro
Subject Re: [Review] pgbench duration option
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Brendan Jurd" <direvus@gmail.com> wrote:

> Josh assigned your patch to me for an initial review.  Here's what I
> have so far.

Thank your for reviewing!

> The -T option seems to work as advertised, and I wasn't able to detect
> any performance degradation (or a significant variation of any kind)
> using the -T option versus the -t option.

Good news.

> Unfortunately, I don't have access to a Windows build environment, so
> I wasn't able to investigate the portability concerns raised in the
> email thread.

I found I have a mistake in the usage of BOOL and BOOLEAN types.
I'll fix it in the next patch.

> I do have a few minor suggestions:
>
>  * The error message given for -T <= 0 is "invalid number of
> duration(-T): %d".  The grammar isn't quite right there.  I would go
> with "invalid run duration (-T): %d", or perhaps just "invalid
> duration (-T): %d".

"invalid duration (-T): %d" looks good for me.

>  * If the -T and -t options are supposed to be mutually incompatible,
> then there should be an error if the user tries to specify both
> options.  Currently, if I specify both options, the -t option is
> ignored in favour of -T.  An error along the lines of "Specify either
> a number of transactions (-t) or a duration (-T), not both." would be
> nice.

Ok, I'll add the error protection.

>  * It seems like the code to stop pgbench when the timer has expired
> has some unnecessary duplication.

Ah, I forgot to clean up the codes. I'll fix it. (There was another
logic here in the first patch, but not needed in the version.)

> * The documentation should mention the new -T option in the following paragraph:
>     In the first place, never believe any test that runs for only a few
> seconds. Use the -t or -T option to make the run last at least a few
> minutes, so as to average out noise.

I'll do it.

Regards,
---