Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
Re: Oracle and Postgresql  ("Asko Oja" <ascoja@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:21:12 Asko Oja wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Michael Nolan <htfoot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Oracle handles connecting to multiple databases (even on multiple/remote
> > computers) fairly seamlessly, PG does not (yet.)
>
> Stuff we do with plProxy on PostgreSQL is in some respects more advanced
> than anything Oracle has to offer :) We have hundreds of databases in quite
> complex network of remote calls and replication.

Yes, but it is also far more complex to install, configure, and use, compared
to something simple like oracle's dblink, which comes pre-installed, is
simple to set-up, and has a much more straight-forward syntax for use in day
to day query work.

--
Robert Treat