Re: Oracle and Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ow Mun Heng
Subject Re: Oracle and Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2008-09-02 at 22:56 -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 September 2008 17:21:12 Asko Oja wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 2:09 AM, Michael Nolan <htfoot@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Oracle handles connecting to multiple databases (even on multiple/remote
> > > computers) fairly seamlessly, PG does not (yet.)
> >
> > Stuff we do with plProxy on PostgreSQL is in some respects more advanced
> > than anything Oracle has to offer :)

> oracle's dblink, which comes pre-installed, is
> simple to set-up, and has a much more straight-forward syntax for use in day
> to day query work.

I've not used oracle's dblink before, but based on PG's dblink, one
thing which I didn't especially like is the need to pre-cast the data
types. Then again, how else will it know what data (type) is being
pulled in?

For simple queries, knowing the data type means an additional lookup to
determine the data-type casting needed for the query.