Re: initdb change - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua Drake
Subject Re: initdb change
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 25 Aug 2008 13:56:16 -0400
Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> > That is what I was suggesting.
> >

> Why should the xlog directory be treated specially?

Consider the following:

mount /dev/sda1 /var/lib/pgsql
mount /dev/sdb1 /srv1/pgsql/pg_xlog (which has a link
from /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog)

initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -X /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_xlog

Will fail; now you have multiple steps to get everything where it
should be.

> We don't do this
> for any other subdirectory of PGDATA. The extra logic would be a

Well the only other directory it would even matter for would be pg_clog
(maybe). I grant that it is a very little feature that could be lived
without.

> nuisance and for no great gain in functionality that I can see.

In an environment where you are provisioning many spindle machines over
many differently mounts and raid configurations it could be useful. The
question is; is it worth it? I don't know. I was just trying to
understand exactly what David was talking about and offer some
suggestions.

> This whole discussion springs from a misconception apparently, so
> let's just move on.

Well that pretty much describes life doesn't it? :)

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake