Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Does anything dump per-database config settings? (was Re: ALTER DATABASE vs pg_dump)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2008 18:28:55 Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > We never came up with any idea of how pg_dump could dump ALTER DATABASE
> > ... SET commands, so I have added a mention in the documentation, and
> > backpatched to 8.3.X;  attached.
> >

> ok, I have no recollection of this conversation :-)
>
> but...
>
> > ! The dump file also does not
> > !    contain any <command>ALTER DATABASE ... SET</> commands;
> > !    these settings are dumped by <xref linkend="app-pg-dumpall">,
> > !    along with database users and other installation-wide settings.
> >     </para>
> >

> Is misleading (or maybe just wrong) because those settings are not dumped with
> the other installation wide settings. Meaning that pg_dumpall -g has no
> bearing on the alter database commands being set, you actually have to
> dumpall the entire data set to get those lines.

Oh, that is odd, but documented:
      -g
      --globals-only             Dump  only  global objects (roles and tablespaces),             no databases.

ALTER DATABASE ... SET seems to be something that doesn't fit in
anywhere;  I am thinking pg_dump -g should dump it.

http://enterprisedb.com