Re: NOT DEFERRABLE as default, why and how to manage it. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: NOT DEFERRABLE as default, why and how to manage it.
Date
List pgsql-general
Am Tuesday, 19. August 2008 schrieb Ivan Sergio Borgonovo:
> > Is there any reason they put it that way in the standard other than
> > the mantra "stricter is better"?
>
> After reflecting a bit I think it is a matter of "failing earlier".

Deferrable constraints are an optional feature of SQL, and the reason this
default is chosen is that systems with and without the feature behave the
same.

> But it doesn't make things more transparent.
> Since there is no simple standard way to see which constraints are
> deferrable and no simple way to alter them.

Query information_schema.table_constraints to find out about existing
constraints and their parameters.