Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Mini improvement: statement_cost_limit
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce,

> How about a simpler approach that throws an error or warning for
> cartesian products?  That seems fool-proof.

Well, throwing a warning is pretty useless for an unattended application.

Also, it's perfectly possible to write queries which will never complete
without a cartesian join.

Basically, *unless* someone has a plan to integrate the greenplum resource
management stuff sometime soon, I think we should take Hans' idea (pending
patch quality, of course).  There's an argument to be made that even if we
took the greenplum resource controller, statement_cost_limit would be much
simpler and worth having for the small-effort simple-application users.

FYI, the concept behind the Greenplum RM is similar, except that it
maintains a total "pool" of query costs on a per-role basis.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL