Re: gsoc, oprrest function for text search take 2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: gsoc, oprrest function for text search take 2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Urbański wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

>> Sounds like a plan. In (2), it's even better to detoast the values
>> lazily. For a typical one-word tsquery, the binary search will only
>> look at a small portion of the elements.
>
> Hm, how can I do that? Toast is still a bit black magic to me... Do you
> mean I should stick to having Datums in TextFreq?

Store both the Datum and the text *.  If the latter is NULL, then grab
the datum, detoast and store the result in the text *.  Next time you
need to look at it, it's already detoasted.

I don't know the code so I have no idea if this is applicable.